Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Masculinity in Disney Movies

Another gem from the Internets concerning stereotypical depictions of masculinity (in Disney movies).


My father never let me play with Barbie Dolls, but he couldn't censor traditional gender rolls on television or at school. My princess phase lasted 3 years or so. But even when I was 8 (and a tomboy), I still wanted to be Ariel, The Little Mermaid, when I grew up. Find a prince. Sing a lot. Then again, I also wanted to be Ayla from Clan of the Cave Bear, so I could wander around inventing technology and domesticating animals.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Always preferred the anarchy in "Looney Tunes" myself. It was more germane to my environment.

As far as knowing the lyrics to favorite songs, if you ever run across the lyrics Daffy Duck sang to "The William Tell Overture" send them to me. I haven't been able to find them anywhere.

Anonymous said...

Barbies???

You didn't need no stinking Barbies!

You did enough damage to my soul and psyche during the "My Little Pony" Wars.

Unknown said...

It's an interesting video, but they should have picked clips that actually support what they're talking about. Everything except the part about women focused mainly on Gaston (who was the bad guy, not the role model, in Beauty and the Beast). That thesis can't be supported with clips that are making fun of that particular cliche by exaggerating it. The point is undermined by bad choice of supporting material. The fight between Mufasa and what's-his-name wasn't a good example of "dominance = awesome," either - because Mufasa is the awesome one, and he loses.

Disney men got less burly over time (I'm thinking of Aladdin in particular), but there are plenty of Good Guy examples of the Ideal Man Shape they could have picked. If they go back to the old-school movies it's especially weird, because the Prince is rarely a full character and doesn't do much besides fight the bad guy at the end - usually the movie is mostly about the girl (Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Snow White, even The Little Mermaid).