Thursday, May 22, 2008

New Dress

For ages, I've dressed as though I were the rare woman in a male-dominated field of study. I was. My school was 40% women, 60% men, but my field is less than 10% women. I disliked clothing that defined itself as feminine by being frail, ornamental and highly non-utilitarian, and I had no desire to be labeled 'feminine,' or 'flighty,' on account my fashion sense. And can you climb trees or keep up in a skirt? I was a tomboy and had better things to do than look pretty. It helped that no one at MIT cares what you look like, and if they do, they're not taking enough classes. Additionally, I had no money for clothes, so I shopped at the Salvation Army and happily wore BDUs, men's Medium T-shirts (I abhorred form-fitting clothes), combat boots, full-length skirts and bulky sweaters, tank tops always under men's silk shirts and vests. It was a huge event if I wore a dress, because not only did I think that I needed to be masculine to be taken seriously as an engineer, but I would physically flinch from wearing short skirts or revealing tops.

I didn't eschew fashion entirely... I loved clothes and I coveted girly clothes, but I'd only look feminine in public on a dare, as a kind of reverse-machismo assertion that I could be just as feminine as I wanted.
For example, in high-school, I cross-dressed for a spring dance by showing up in a leather mini-skirt and red lipstick, curling my hair and ruined the appearance by daring the boys to just say anything. I was really threatened by women's clothing. I felt that exposing myself made me highly vulnerable, because it did. I hated being cat-called or stared at, and wearing dresses always got me that sort of negative attention and more. Even worse, though, I was mortified that people would take one look at me in a skirt and treat me like, "a little lady," and not as an engineer. Many times, I wished I were a man. It would have made things a lot easier. Instead, that wish made a lot of things worse - I constantly experienced cognitive dissonance for being a woman in engineering, because I kept convincing myself I was out of place.

Well, screw that! I've spent the last three years mulling over these (and many other) weird social neuroses and growing up. I don't have to excuse the fact that I'm a woman, regardless of whether I'm using a welder or walking down the street. If someone sees the skirt and ignores the person wearing it... that's no reflection on me.



I'm very excited to wear this midi sun-dress this weekend. The dress (new) and purse (vintage) are from Poor Little Rich Girl. The shoes are from Nine West. The necklace was a gift and is from Magpie and the earrings are from a now-defunct artists gallery in south St. Louis.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This feels and 'thinks' to me ke the best thing you've blogged -- not because of superor writing but a 'new' quality of honesty and vulnerability that is...well, charming. And just to give you a mild shot nonetheless...I grew up among a LOT of girls who climbed trees in sun-suits, skirts, dresses: they never seemed at a loss for it, never acted em'barrassed' when they hung by the legs, skirt-tails over their heads, and the like. I do believe you and others when they plaintively call for a deliberate feminist ethic and demand respect on its own terms; but there seems to me to be a deeper unrealized reality among 'feminist' women [I can go on at even greater length about 'feminist' men] -- that the feminine ethic carries itself with greater elegance and grace in the world, not having to demand anything but simply accepting of the respect they are granted for being authentic.

Nope, I'm not trying to start an argument, although I offer a point-of-view (that does not require a response), but making my own observation of the human dynamics I see at work in a world that operates...well.

[Wax and others can i.d. me if you wish, and have my email address.]

Best wishes.

Unknown said...

It took me quite a while to actually enjoy dressing like a girl. I kind of had to learn how. I am still not very good at certain things.

Anonymous said...

Honey...I work for IEEE and I've got the Manolos...go for it. The other 91% may not get it, but the 9% of this community who can wear a dress without getting funny looks, will NEVER fault you for wanting to wear the dress.

Anonymous said...

Ya know, that's just weird...

The latest mid-West summer fashion seems to be a resurgence of the old sun dress. I've seen several females wearing them of late-- it's been warm and humid recently-- and I couldn't help but notice how lovely they are.

No, it wasn't Pervy Papa working his wrinkled oats into a dribbling lather. It was a matter of aesthetics. They're practical and look wonderful on a woman. They drape nicely, they cling properly to those incredible curves, and I've always loved the way they flow. On the "right" woman, it seems like she's wearing a summer breeze.

Yeah, sometimes the old stuff is best...