For those of you who don't read Feministing, it's been a good week.
For Papa, the University College Republicans PR officer at Southern Illinois University sends inarticulate, misogynist hate-mail to Feministing and is actually reprimanded for it by SIU. The comments on the original post are awesome. I couldn't stop laughing for a few minutes - it was only improved by what I know from growing up near SIU.
The best news, though, is that the state of Maryland redefined rape and rescinded it's "once it's in, it's in," law. The case which was reviewed for this redefinition was rather controversial, but it's a step in the right direction for prosecuting cases such as spousal rape, and clarifying for teenagers (and women of all ages) that, yes, they can remove their consent (saying yes once doesn't imply you keep saying yes). CNN actually had a good video segment discussing this law. The controversy for this law concerns whether having an option to pursue rape charges for more ambiguous rape situations will flood the courts with frivolous rape cases. I personally don't think it will, but regardless, the option to pursue charges needs to be there in order to protect those people who are raped after being pressured into consenting beforehand, and it helps victims in cases where the consent itself is ambiguous due to drinking or drugs. So, now there are more options for rape victims, so long as they live in Alaska, California, Connecticut, Kansas, Maine, Maryland, Minnesota, South Dakota or Illinois.
And the most edifying part.... this week's Friday Feminist Fuck You:

1 comment:
"Far away, we view her glory, noble, great and grand..."
I'm sorry, but I have to make the obvious comment everyone seems to have overlooked:
this guy's last name is pronounced "cock-no," que no?
I believe that says it all. A guy who's manhood is threatened by honest Feminism isn't much of a man in the first place.
-P
Post a Comment