Monday, December 10, 2007

The Sound Medical Alternative

No one really believes me when I say I use super-glue to close the occasional hard-to-bandage cut. But it's true! It works! That's what drove the invention of super-glue. Cyanoacrylate; the polymer solution that goes crazy as its solvent evaporates and the forming polymers wrap themselves around one another and anything nearby.

I heard it independently from a materials engineer, and Lynn/Dr. Mom, and thus took it as one of those common sense truths. And everyone thought I was weird... particularly that time I put my hand through a window. But lo! I have been vindicated by the NYTimes.

However, the NYTimes article is somewhat specious? Pedantic? Ill-informed? Super Glue for Wound Closure, which is some random article written by a midwife, is much more informative about super-glue, and includes
a time-line and citations to the underlying chemistry. For example; the primarly difference between off-the-shelf super-glue and medical-grade tissue adhesive is the alcohol used in the solution. Also, medical-grade glue is bacteriostatic: although I'm not sure what compound they add to make it so.

Also, I'm surprised that anyone would recommend use of dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO) to remove the glue. It's an awesome solvent, but it also makes your skin highly permeable. As in, DMSO + lemon juice on hand = taste lemon levels of permeability. The more you know! Materials science and biochemistry are awesome.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe that shit.

And just what is wrong with using bread and duct tape? Oh, you kids and your new fangled hippy crap...

-P

w0z said...

Says the guy who has to filter his urine through a sieve.

Whatchoo saving it for, ol' son? Doctors don't know jack. They test and test, but they jive you man, they jive you hard. An' you fall flat.

\<3

Anonymous said...

Says the guy who has to filter his urine through a sieve.

Jest be careful what you use to make tea with when you come to visit.

Anonymous said...

Actually, DMSO can be used as a local anesthetic and is considered by some to be a very good "home" remedy for arthritis. When dealing with DMSO the primary concern is for the purity and not getting any toxins mixed in with it. Personally, though, I can't say as I would really want to be dissolving cyanoacrylate through my skin.